South Fambridge Solar Park
British Solar Renewables (BSR) have received a planning permission for a Solar PV scheme on land off Fambridge Road, due north of Ashingdon at South Fambridge Farm, South Fambridge, Rochford, SS4 3LS. The Solar scheme will have an approximate design capacity of 50 MW and would generate an estimated 47,500 MWh of clean, renewable and sustainable electricity per year. This is equivalent to the annual electrical needs of approx. 12,505 family homes. The anticipated CO2 displacement is around 11,072 tonnes per annum. In addition to this we are proposing 20MW of battery energy storage.
Pre-application consultation - 14 December 2020 from 19:00 - 20:00hr
- It will assist in reducing greenhouse gas emissions in line with national targets, in addition to supporting its strategy for the declared Climate Emergency.
- The proposal will help assist with the provision of a dependable supply of energy to assist with the transition to carbon free travel and heating.
- The proposed development will contribute towards the security of energy supply in Rochford through the provision of local, renewable energy supply.
- No public rights of way will be closed during or after construction of the solar park.
- New hedgerow planting is proposed to contain and screen the solar arrays from its surroundings.
- This is a temporary development, allowing the land to rest for the period of operation.
- Ecological enhancements including wildflower and wild bird seed grasslands, and a range of breeding boxes for bats and birds are being considered as part of the application. We anticipate that the solar park will have a significant positive net biodiversity impact via the creation of green corridors.
- No protected landscape, heritage or ecological designations will be affected by the solar farm.
- The proposed solar farm will not require a Government subsidy.
- British Solar Renewables is committed to using local suppliers during construction and operation where possible.
The project is situated off the Fambridge Road and is approximately 0.5 mile north of the village of Ashingdon and 0.5 mile east of the village of South Fambridge. The Solar PV scheme will be located over 3 fields. The red line plan shows the extent of the Solar PV scheme which will be approximately 139 acres (56 Ha) in size. In addition to having solar panels on the site the development would include 20MW of battery energy storage. The scheme is located well away from built up areas and away from residential properties which do not have any connection with the proposal.
The project also includes biodiversity and landscape enhancement measures, such as the gapping up of existing hedgerows to ensure there are minimal visual and new green corridors are created for the wildlife.
The scheme will utilise land which is of a poor agricultural grade (ALC Grade 3b), therefore the potential benefits of avoiding large inputs of fertiliser, pesticides and herbicides into the land and into ground water systems will assist in ecological benefits for wildlife and estuary birdlife too.
- Fambridge Solar Park, Fambridge Road, South Fambridge, Rochford, SS4 3LS
- Solar PV (ground) / Battery Storage
- 50MW PV / 20 MW ESS
- Land size (approx.)
- 155 acres
- UK Power Networks (UKPN)
- Land designation
- Grade 3
- Contract term
- 30 years + 15 years (extension)
- Planning submission date
- Est. December 2020 / January 2021
- Planning decision
- Est. April / May 2021