Akeman Solar Park
Introducing Akeman Solar Park
British Solar Renewables (BSR) is preparing to submit a planning application to West Oxfordshire District Council for a solar park and battery storage facility area on land south of Ramsden, Akeman Street, Ramsden, OX7 3AY.
The solar park would have an approximate design capacity of 20 MW and would generate an estimated 20,000 MWh of clean, renewable and sustainable electricity per year. This is equivalent to the annual electrical needs of approx. 6060 family homes. The anticipated CO2 displacement is around 6202 tonnes per annum. This is equivalent to removing 3,970 conventional cars from the road each year.
What are the benefits of the solar park?
- It will assist West Oxfordshire District Council in reducing greenhouse gas emissions in line with local and national targets, in addition to supporting its strategy for the declared Climate Emergency.
- The proposed development will contribute towards the security of energy supply in West Oxfordshire through the provision of local, renewable energy supply.
- No public rights of way will be closed during or after construction of the solar park.
- New hedgerow planting is proposed to contain and screen the solar arrays from its surroundings.
- This is a temporary development, allowing the land to rest for the period of operation.
- Ecological enhancements including wildflower and wild bird seed grasslands, and a range of breeding boxes for bats and birds are being considered as part of the application. We anticipate that the solar park will have a significant positive net biodiversity impact.
- Careful consideration has been given to the development to avoid affects on protected landscape, heritage or ecological designations.
- The proposed solar farm will not require Government subsidy.
- British Solar Renewables is committed to using local suppliers during construction and operation where possible.
Where is the proposed Akeman Solar Park?
The proposed site is situated off the B4022, approximately half a mile south-west of Ramsden. The approximately 111-acre (45Ha) site will be located in a number of fields which are currently used for arable farming. In addition to having solar panels on the site, the proposal also includes a small energy storage component in the form of a 1.5MW battery. Biodiversity and landscape enhancement measures, such as the gapping up of existing hedgerows and provision of improved grassland, to ensure there is a minimal visual and environmental impact, will also form part of the scheme. It is proposed that access to the site would be provided using the existing access point on the junction of St Johns’ Lane restricted byway and Roman Road.
- Land south of Ramsden, Akeman Street, Ramsden, OX7 3AY
- Solar PV (Ground mounted) & Battery Energy Storage
- 20MWp design capacity of Solar PV & 1.5MW of battery energy storage
- Land size (approx.)
- 45Ha (111 acres)
- Scottish & Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN)
- Land Designation
- Planning consent duration
- Application is for 45 years
- Planning submission date
- Estimated June 2021
- Planning Decision date
- Estimated September 2021