Job Title: IT Systems Administrator
Reports to: Head of IT
Remuneration: Salary dependent on experience
Location: Shepton Mallet, Somerset
About BSR Group:
British Solar Renewables (BSR) is a leading renewable energy developer and provider of expert services into the renewable energy industry. Our mission is to create the smart energy systems we need for a low-carbon future. We design, plan, construct, connect and manage utility-scale solar and energy storage projects for developers and investors in the UK and internationally.
The IT Systems Administrator is responsible for the implementation, operations and maintenance and security of the company’s IT and telecommunication systems. They will possess strong troubleshooting skills to identify the root cause of an issue providing a solution and monitoring of the issue through to resolution. In addition, they will be committed to researching the latest technology and methods available, ensuring these meet the technical and functional requirements of the business.
This role also encompasses a cyber security focus, and therefore an extensive knowledge of network security, end point protection and the latest methods and techniques required to secure the IT systems and prevent damage to the company reputation and data loss is a requirement.
Taking direction from the Head of IT, the IT Systems Administrator will work in partnership with all business areas to support their needs and requirements for day to day IT activities as well as in an advisory role. This role is part of a small IT team and therefore ‘hands on’ cover for the IT Support Engineers duties may be required at times. The IT Systems Administrator should also possess a ‘can-do’ attitude with a passion to go that extra mile.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain the current on-premises server infrastructure to maximise system availability and reliability through pro-active monitoring and in addition provide support during incidents involving these assets.
- Design and lead the technical implementation of services using Microsoft Azure and Office 365 platforms to provide usability while maximising return on investment.
- Provide additional detailed troubleshooting for incidents escalated from the 1st\2nd support teams.
- Working with the IT Support Engineer manage appropriate levels of access to systems via regular review to minimise risk of data loss or exfiltration.
- Research, appraise and propose technical solutions and changes which can enhance the current IT system and user experience, as well as reducing and removing vulnerabilities. Ensure that any architectural solutions or changes meet technical and functional requirements both for the short term and long term.
- Review and provide feedback for security vulnerabilities in both hardware and software already deployed or being considered and take appropriate actions to resolve these vulnerabilities.
- Maintain and monitor BSR’s backup and disaster recovery solutions to enable successful and timely recovery of BSR’s data and systems.
- Periodically work outside of business hours to facilitate system upgrades, security patching and ad-hoc changes.
- Ensure that all systems and processes are fully documented, and that documentation is kept up to date.
- Participate in rigorous inventory control for both hardware and software licensing to make sure that all assets are utilised before additional purchases are authorised.
- Review, collaborate and approve change control requests from other team members making sure that the integrity of the computer systems is not compromised.
- Maintain office networks to ensure maximum availability through proactive maintenance, monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Maintain company telecommunications platforms (landline & mobile)
- Mentor other members of the team and pass on the necessary knowledge when implementing new technologies.
- Maintain perimeter network security through the management and regular configuration reviews of edge network devices including but not limited to firewalls, and intrusion detection systems
- Correlate all events from various multiple systems where a potential security incident is identified; ensure the situation is handled promptly and effectively following the documented security incident response procedure.
- Provide cover for 1st Line support during periods of absence or holidays.
- Liaise with 3rd party suppliers to build and maintain systems and maintain commercial relationships.
- Actively monitor for attacks and intrusions of IT systems and proactively resolve any potential security vulnerability
- Research the best ways to secure company-wide IT systems and build security into all systems from the design stage and maintain after implementation.
- Communicate with all levels of the business to successfully provide updates and resolution to ongoing incidents or user education both verbally and written.
- BA or BSc in Computer Science, a recognised Cyber Security qualification, or qualified by experience and able to demonstrate the key skills and experience required.
- Previous experience in a 1st or 2nd Line Support role within IT.
- Experience in evaluation, implementation, operation, analysis and maintenance of and evaluation of systems.
- Proven history of systems designs and implementation of Microsoft Server 2016/2019/2022, Exchange 2016/2019, in a heavily virtualised environment.
- Microsoft Azure and Office 365 cloud infrastructure implementation, design and operation experience.
- Proven experience of handling cyber security for a SME sized business.
- Outstanding knowledge of general IT, server, networks, and desktop environments – both on-premises and cloud based with a background in Windows.
- Familiarity with common network topologies and extensive knowledge of the purpose, functionality, operating and failure modes of key networking devices (routers, switches, bridges, firewalls, hardware load balancers).
- Significant experience identifying, analysing, and resolving system problems.
- Solid understanding of information processing fundamentals and best practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of scripting languages and automation technologies.
- Strong multitasking skills to be able to effectively manage multiple activities, including cross-team dependent activities simultaneously.
- Strong ability to work effectively in collaboration with other members of a team or/and other professionals with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates Initiative and a proven ability to work in a team.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of IT systems.
- A forensic approach to challenges.
- An understanding of how cyber criminals work and ability to keep up with the fast pace of change in the criminal cyber-underworld.
- Solid track record in prioritising and executing tasks when under extreme pressure.
- Experience providing guidance and leadership to junior systems engineers.
- Desire to self-educate on the ever-changing landscape of both IT infrastructure and cyber security
- Linux Administration (Debian)
- Database administration (SQL Server, MySQL and Postgres)
- Familiarity of ITIL framework and best practices.
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays.
- Auto Enrolment Pension – the Company will contribute 4%.
- Private Healthcare
- Life cover four times salary;
- Employee Assistance Programme;
- BSR will pay for one professional membership per year.
Closing date: Wednesday 18th January 12 noon
To apply: Please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com