Head of Project Development
British Solar Renewables (BSR) develops, designs, constructs and manages utility scale solar and energy storage projects across the UK and internationally. Our goal is to create the smart energy systems we need for a net zero carbon future.
A few of the highlights of joining BSR:
1) Welcoming, friendly and fun workplace, including team volunteering events, Christmas and Summer parties, monthly contact days and social events.
2) Our hybrid working policy means you can choose which two days of the week you come into the office, offering you flexibility and a better work-life balance.
3) We offer private healthcare through AXA and access to 24-hour advice through our Employee Assistance Programme which is designed to help you with all of life’s questions, issues, or concerns.
Where are we?
BSR’s head office is based in Shepton Mallet, Somerset. Located in the beautiful Somerset countryside, we are in the perfect location for those who enjoy scenic views and welcoming communities! We are local to Wells Cathedral, a popular attraction for locals and tourists, as well as Glastonbury Tor, a spectacular viewing point overlooking Somerset. We are in easy reach of Bath (18 miles), Bristol (20 miles) and Yeovil (19 miles), giving you a variety of restaurants, activities, and shopping! We are also five miles from Glastonbury Festival, if that’s your thing!
What you will be doing in this role:
Reporting to the Development Director, the Head of Project Development will be responsible for the development of BSRenergy renewable and sustainable energy projects.
The Head of Project Development will lead a team of Senior Project Managers, Project Managers, Junior Project Managers and Project Co-Ordinators to meet the company's goals and objectives for development.
The Head of Development will provide leadership for the development team to focus on meeting or exceeding the agreed Health & Safety, Quality and Technical standards as required by the company.
Working within agreed budgets and time frames, the Head of Project Development will be expected to maintain a disciplined tracking and reporting regime using recognised project management techniques and tools.
The role requires a high-level understanding of commercial, legal, technical and construction activities required to successfully deliver high value renewable and sustainable energy projects.
What we need from you:
- Ensuring that health and safety is at the forefront of all decision making – ‘Everyone Safe Always’.
- To lead and manage the development team, supporting them in developing industry-leading renewable and sustainable energy projects using robust Project Management practices and innovative solutions.
- Responsible for leading the development team to meet the company’s goals and objectives.
- Ensure that the appointments of the development teams external contractors and consultants comply with the company’s procurement policies and deliver best in class performance and cost benefit.
- Working within agreed budgets and time frames, the Head of Project Development will be expected to maintain a disciplined tracking and reporting regime using recognised project management techniques and tools.
- Ensure an efficient transition of projects into the Development team from the site acquisition team and from the development team into construction and operation.
- Ensure all project cost forecasts are updated monthly and shared with the finance team in a timely manner.
- Ensure all project development budgets are updated with the latest cost assumptions.
- Ensure continual improvement processes
- Ensure all significant cost variances are reported to the senior team and obtain any necessary approvals if required.
- Responsible for delivering a monthly report and presentation on the status of all projects in development to the BSR Group board of directors.
- Ensure an adequate project risk and issues management process is adhered to by the development team.
- Mentor and grow the development team by creating and maintaining a professional culture within the team, where individuals take ownership and are attentive and proud of delivering excellence and quality.
- Establish and maintain clear communications between the development team and all other internal teams.
- Responsible for the quality and technical approach taken by team members, ensuring it is in-line with the company strategy and policies.
- Ensure that a positive and meaningful community engagement process is followed and reflective of both BSR values and the needs of local communities.
Skills you’ll have:
- Extensive experience in the Development of renewable and sustainable energy projects
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Experienced in leading and managing project management teams.
- Experience with working with senior management.
- A qualification in Project Management is required, i.e. APM, PMI etc
- Degree or equivalent is desirable
What’s in it for you?
- Monthly social events
- Hybrid working arrangement
- Weekly yoga sessions
- Family friendly parental leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Annual bonus scheme
- Long service recognition scheme
- Annual reimbursement for one professional membership
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays and the option to rollover up to 5 days
- Private healthcare
- Life insurance
- Free office parking
Closing date: Monday 6th November, 12 noon
If this role sounds right for you, we would love to receive your application! Please send a CV and cover letter to: email@example.com
BSR is an equal opportunities employer, we are excited about employing and developing the best talent. Hiring decisions are based on experience, skills and qualifications relating to the role/roles applied for. If you need any reasonable adjustments made to perform at your best during the interview process, please contact the email address above.
On the occasions where we have a high number of applicants, some roles may close earlier than the advertised end date.