Job Title: Communication and Monitoring Systems Engineer
Reports to: Senior Communication and Monitoring Systems Engineer
Remuneration: Salary dependent on experience
Location: Shepton Mallet, Somerset
As a member of the Comms Team, within the Design and Engineering department, the Communication and Monitoring Systems Engineer will design, deploy, and support the communication and monitoring systems on new and existing distributed energy projects.
As new PV and battery sites increasing rely on their communication networks for operation, BSR needs to ensure that new designs meet the current requirements for performance and cybersecurity and that older designs are maintained and upgraded in line with current industry practises.
The Communication and Monitoring Systems Engineer will also be available to provide advice and assistance for reactive issues which need additional skills or experience and will participate in an on-call rota for out-of-hours remote support along with the other members of comms team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design of communication and monitoring systems, including LAN and WAN networks, for new distributed energy projects
- Consider cybersecurity in new designs and in maintenance and upgrades of existing systems
- Liaising with other teams, both internal and external to ensure that the overall project designs integrate smoothly
- Working with and managing relevant suppliers and sub-contractors, e.g. data acquisition system providers, vendor service support teams, comms hardware suppliers, and CCTV contractors
- Producing documentation needed to implement the communication and monitoring system designs, e.g. cable schedules, network diagrams, and register lists
- Staying abreast of relevant developments in the telecommunications and technology marketplace
- Planning and carrying out maintenance of communications and monitoring systems software and hardware installed at solar PV and battery energy storage plants throughout the UK
- Installing, maintaining, and patching server operating systems; supporting application software and improving the monitoring of remote systems
- Sharing communications systems technical knowledge with the wider team by producing and updating documentation and operating instructions for the systems in use
- Supporting operational staff with monitoring, data acquisition, security, and CCTV systems issue resolutions
- Adherence to and development of BSR Group’s Quality Management System and processes
Experience and skills:
- Knowledge of IT/OT networks and design principles; segmentation, VLANs, NAT, VPNs
- Industrial communication protocols including Modbus RTU / TCP, RS485 / serial communications
- Some Linux system administration experience, focussed on Debian or derivatives.
- Basic Windows administration knowledge
- Background knowledge of OT cybersecurity
- Scripting and integration using any of; sh, Python, PowerShell, JSON, web APIs etc
- Familiarity with network troubleshooting tools
- Technical problem-solving skills and an aptitude for implementing new ideas
- Self motivated; able to work remotely and independently
- Enthusiasm for ongoing personal development and learning
- Strong communicator with patience and perseverance, able to troubleshoot and problem-solve with remote staff or equipment
- Knowledge and experience of PV specific and general industrial data acquisition systems
- Knowledge of Intune endpoint management
- Experience of any of the following network equipment; Fortinet firewalls and switches, Mikrotik routers, Moxa industrial networking, OpenWRT
- Experience of working with digital or analogue sensors
- PV, battery, and power electronics background knowledge
- Basic AutoCAD skills
Please note: We are interested in a range of experience & skills so please get in touch even if you are unable to fulfil all of the requirements above.
- Ideally an undergraduate degree in STEM subject that provides a demonstrable background in IT, computing, computer networking, or electronics via relevant course modules, but may also include vocational training or extensive relevant work experience
- IT-related technical proficiency or security qualifications e.g. SANS, Microsoft, Cisco, CompTIA or similar are advantageous, but not essential
- Ideally possess a current Driving Licence
- Must be eligible to work in the UK
- Must be prepared to travel within the UK, including occasional overnight stays, and potentially abroad, for site visits
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays.
- Auto Enrolment Pension – the Company will contribute 4%
- Private Healthcare
- Life cover four times salary;
- Employee Assistance Programme;
- BSR will pay for one professional membership per year.
To apply: Please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com