Trainee Site Manager
British Solar Renewables (BSR) develops, designs, constructs and manages utility scale solar and energy storage projects across the UK and internationally. Our goal is to create the smart energy systems we need for a net zero carbon future.
A few of the highlights of joining BSR:
- 1) Welcoming, friendly and fun workplace, including team volunteering events, Christmas and Summer parties, monthly contact days and social events.
- 2) Our hybrid working policy means you can choose which two days of the week you come into the office, offering you flexibility and a better work-life balance.
- 3) We offer private healthcare through AXA and access to 24-hour advice through our Employee Assistance Programme which is designed to help you with all of life’s questions, issues, or concerns.
Where are we?
BSR’s head office is based in Shepton Mallet, Somerset. Located in the beautiful Somerset countryside, we are in the perfect location for those who enjoy scenic views and welcoming communities! We are local to Wells Cathedral, a popular attraction for locals and tourists, as well as Glastonbury Tor, a spectacular viewing point overlooking Somerset. We are in easy reach of Bath (18 miles), Bristol (20 miles) and Yeovil (19 miles), giving you a variety of restaurants, activities, and shopping! We are also five miles from Glastonbury Festival, if that’s your thing!
What you will be doing in this role:
Reporting to the Site Manager, the Trainee Site Manager, will play a critical role in the successful implementation and delivery of renewable construction projects. This role is designed for someone who is committed to gaining hands-on experience and knowledge in managing all aspects of renewable project installations. The role involves planning, coordinating, on-site supervision and quality control. As a valuable member of our team, you will learn from experienced Site Managers and industry experts while contributing to the growth and success of our organisation.
The successful candidate must be self-motivated, pro-active and conscientious and be used to working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment to tight deadlines.
The nature of this role requires flexibility for extensive travel from the office at Shepton Mallet to our various sites and locations, with a requirement to regularly stay away from home whilst projects are in build.
This role is an entry level role suited to someone looking to gain experience in the Renewables/Construction sector.
What we need from you:
- Assist in the planning and coordination of renewable construction projects, ensuring adherence to project schedules and budgets.
- Observe, learn, and adhere to all safety protocols and best practices to promote a safe working environment.
- Support the Site Manager in overseeing the day-to-day activities on site, ensuring compliance with safety regulations and project specifications.
- Attend regular general site and specific works package/contractor meetings.
- Participate in site visits and inspections to assess progress, identify potential risks or issues, and propose solutions accordingly.
- Collaborate with the project team and other stakeholders to coordinate manpower, equipment, and materials required.
- Learn to read and interpret construction drawings, specifications, and contracts to ensure accurate implementation of project plans.
- Assist in managing subcontractors and suppliers, monitoring their performance ensuring adherence to timelines and quality standards.
- Learn to conduct regular quality control inspections to ensure workmanship and materials meet project requirements.
- Contribute to maintaining accurate project documentation, including work logs, progress reports, and safety records.
- Collaborate with the site manager to ensure effective communication and coordination across project teams, stakeholders, and other relevant parties.
Skills you’ll have:
- HND or relevant degree/relevant experience.
- Strong organisational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet project deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with team members, subcontractors, and stakeholders.
- An understanding of construction project management principles and processes.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience using project management software is desirable, full training can be provided.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment and adapt to changing priorities.
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills in the field of renewables construction.
- A British driving licence is required.
What’s in it for you?
- Monthly social events
- Hybrid working arrangement
- Weekly yoga sessions
- Family friendly parental leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Annual bonus scheme
- Long service recognition scheme
- Annual reimbursement for one professional membership
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays and the option to rollover up to 5 days
- Private healthcare
- Life insurance
- Free office parking
Closing date: Thursday 9th November, 12 noon
If this role sounds right for you, we would love to receive your application! Please send a CV and cover letter to: email@example.com
BSR is an equal opportunities employer, we are excited about employing and developing the best talent. Hiring decisions are based on experience, skills and qualifications relating to the role/roles applied for. If you need any reasonable adjustments made to perform at your best during the interview process, please contact the email address above.
On the occasions where we have a high number of applicants, some roles may close earlier than the advertised end date.