OT Systems Administrator
British Solar Renewables (BSR) develops, designs, constructs and manages utility scale solar and energy storage projects across the UK and internationally. Our goal is to create the smart energy systems we need for a net zero carbon future.
- A few of the highlights of joining BSR:
Welcoming, friendly and fun workplace, including team volunteering events, Christmas and Summer parties, monthly contact days and social events.
- Our hybrid working policy means you can choose which two days of the week you come into the office, offering you flexibility and a better work-life balance.
- We offer private healthcare through AXA and access to 24-hour advice through our Employee Assistance Programme which is designed to help you with all of life’s questions, issues, or concerns.
Where are we?
BSR’s head office is based in Shepton Mallet, Somerset. Located in the beautiful Somerset countryside, we are in the perfect location for those who enjoy scenic views and welcoming communities! We are local to Wells Cathedral, a popular attraction for locals and tourists, as well as Glastonbury Tor, a spectacular viewing point overlooking Somerset. We are in easy reach of Bath (18 miles), Bristol (20 miles) and Yeovil (19 miles), giving you a variety of restaurants, activities, and shopping! We are also five miles from Glastonbury Festival, if that’s your thing!
What you will be doing in this role:
As a member of the OT Team, within the Design and Engineering department, the OT Systems Administrator will setup and maintain the servers and network infrastructure which supports our new and existing distributed energy projects. This includes OS builds (Linux and Windows), backup configuration, software and firmware updates, and automation.
As new PV and battery sites increasing rely on their communication networks for operation, BSR needs to ensure that new designs meet the current requirements for performance and cybersecurity and that older designs are maintained and upgraded in line with current industry practises.
The OT Systems Administrator will also be available to provide advice and assistance for reactive issues which need specialist skills or experience and may participate in an on-call rota for out-of-hours remote support along with the other members of the OT team.
What we need from you:
- Deploying and configuring Linux and Windows servers and workstations on OT networks
- Installing and configuring software packages required on the servers and workstations
- Assembling and maintaining computer systems used on OT networks
- Managing and prioritising patching and maintenance of device firmware, OS and software installations
- Consider cybersecurity in new designs and in maintenance and upgrades of existing systems
- Monitoring support agreements and software licenses to ensure BSR has the correct ongoing coverage
- Liaising with other teams, both internal and external to ensure that projects are delivered on time
- Developing automation and monitoring to aid the deployment process and maintain consistency across installations
- Sharing OT technical knowledge with the wider team by producing and updating documentation and operating instructions for the systems in use
- Supporting operational staff with monitoring, data acquisition, security, and CCTV systems issue resolutions
- Supporting maintenance of legacy ticketing system and graph displays used by the operations and maintenance team. Support the migration of the legacy ticketing system to an IT owned system.
- Adherence to and development of BSR Group’s Quality Management System and processes
Skills you’ll have:
- Linux systems administration experience, primarily within the Red Hat ecosystem
- Windows administration knowledge
- Backup planning, configuration, and management
- Computer hardware assembly and troubleshooting
- Cybersecurity experience
- Scripting and integration using any of; sh, Python, PowerShell, JSON, web APIs etc
- Familiarity with network troubleshooting tools
- Technical problem-solving skills and an aptitude for implementing new ideas
- Self motivated; able to work remotely and independently
- Enthusiasm for ongoing personal development and learning
- Strong communicator with patience and perseverance, able to troubleshoot and problem-solve with remote staff or equipment
- Knowledge and experience of PV specific and general industrial data acquisition systems
- Experience with other Linux distributions; Debian, SUSE/OpenSUSE
- Experience of any of the following network equipment; Fortinet firewalls and switches, Moxa industrial networking
- Experience of working with digital or analogue sensors
- PV, battery, and power electronics background knowledge
- Basic AutoCAD skills
What’s in it for you?
- Monthly social events
- Hybrid working arrangement.
- Weekly yoga sessions
- Family friendly parental leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Annual bonus scheme
- Long service recognition scheme
- Annual reimbursement for one professional membership
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays and the option to rollover up to 5 days
- Private healthcare
- Life insurance
- Free office parking
If this role sounds right for you, we would love to receive your application! Please send a CV and cover letter to: email@example.com
BSR is an equal opportunities employer, we are excited about employing and developing the best talent. Hiring decisions are based on experience, skills and qualifications relating to the role/roles applied for. If you need any reasonable adjustments made to perform at your best during the interview process, please contact the email address above.
On the occasions where we have a high number of applicants, some roles may close earlier than the advertised end date.