Job Title: Electrical Engineer
Reports to: Head of Design and Engineering
Remuneration: Salary dependent on experience
Location: Shepton Mallet, Somerset
About BSR Group:
British Solar Renewables (BSR) is a leading renewable energy developer and provider of expert services into the renewable energy industry. Our mission is to create the smart energy systems we need for a low-carbon future. We design, plan, construct, connect and manage utility-scale solar and energy storage projects for developers and investors in the UK and internationally.
We are looking for a talented Electrical Engineer to undertake detailed technical design of LV & MV systems in Solar PV plants and Energy Storage Systems (ESS) developed, constructed, and operated within the BSR group.
As a member of the Design and Engineering team, the Electrical Engineer will be involved in project electrical design scope from concept to construction as well as supporting the maintenance and operation of existing assets.
BSR group is an IET Enterprise Partner and provides additional support for a structured development programme leading to chartered engineer status for suitable candidates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Electrical design of solar PV and BESS projects from conceptual configuration of plants and layouts to detailed SLD, wiring diagrams, calculations, and specs, including construction engineering support and final acceptance.
- Electrical systems specification, design, documentation and review in accordance with relevant ISO / IEC / BS standards, including IET PV CoP, BS7671 18th Edition etc.
- Electrical protection scheme design and review.
- Earthing system design and review.
- Appointing consultants and assessing grid compliance and earthing reports.
- Load flow estimations, short-circuit study, and sizing of main electrical equipment (transformers, inverters, switchboard, UPS etc.)
- LV&MV Cable sizing and optimisation calculations according to installation conditions; issuing of LV and DC cable schedules for procurement and/or installation requirements.
- LPS design and review.
- Authorising, reviewing and amending LV SLDs and schematics.
- Electrical equipment offers review, and selection (including UPS, cable, meter, CT, switchgear, filter, transformer, inverter etc).
- Liaison with electrical equipment manufacturers, technical advisors and consultants.
- BESS – supplier proposal reviews: inverter and cell technology, sizing and optimisation calculations.
- Search, specifies electrical hardware and equipment necessary for project construction e.g., cable, lugs, joints, glands, enclosures, panels, MCBs, CBs, fuses etc. and issues schedules for procurement
- Issuing of commissioning and operational instructions documentation e.g., shutdown procedures; briefing notes for owners and technical advisors.
- Interpretation of relevant ISO / IEC / BS standards and documentation of applicability to EPC designs e.g., Transformer Oil bunding requirements, E-Stop designs etc.
- Engineering calculations and operational data analysis e.g., plant performance, performance ratio analysis, operational losses etc.
- Responds to EPC, O&M, technical based on necessary calculations and advisor, funder, client, or asset owner technical enquiries. These enquiries may require several actions including documentation review, design optimisation, performance assessment, site survey and technical support
- Site survey, construction inspection and As-Built document checks.
- Professional experience in electrical design at commercial or utility scale.
- Experience in professional Solar PV system design and/or battery energy storage is desirable.
- Demonstrable knowledge of inverter specification, array sizing, yield optimisation, module selection and component assessments.
- Proficient in electrical systems design, including electrical power circuits, SCADA, communications systems and other equipment.
- Understanding of P28, G59/G99 and similar ENA recommendations and design/implementation of solutions to meet these requirements.
- Familiarity with Amtech, Cableizer or similar electrical design packages to assist with cable sizing and/or protection, discrimination and optimisation.
- Experienced user of the following software:
- MSOffice (particularly Excel for data analytics), Outlook, SharePoint
- A valid driver’s licence is required to enable the applicant to drive in the UK.
- Undergraduate degree in STEM subject; ideally Electrical Engineering or equivalent professional experience and/or certifications
- Membership of professional body looked upon favourably
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays.
- Auto Enrolment Pension – the Company will contribute 4%.
- Private Healthcare
- Life cover four times salary;
- Employee Assistance Programme;
- BSR will pay for one professional membership per year.
Closing date: Tuesday January 3rd at 12pm
To apply: Please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com