British Solar Renewables (BSR) develops, designs, constructs and manages utility scale solar and energy storage projects across the UK and internationally. Our goal is to create the smart energy systems we need for a net zero carbon future.
A few of the highlights of joining BSR:
1) Welcoming, friendly and fun workplace, including team volunteering events, Christmas and Summer parties, monthly contact days and social events.
2) Our hybrid working policy means you can choose which two days of the week you come into the office, offering you flexibility and a better work-life balance.
3) We offer private healthcare through AXA and access to 24-hour advice through our Employee Assistance Programme which is designed to help you with all of life’s questions, issues, or concerns.
Where are we?
BSR’s head office is based in Shepton Mallet, Somerset. Located in the beautiful Somerset countryside, we are in the perfect location for those who enjoy scenic views and welcoming communities! We are local to Wells Cathedral, a popular attraction for locals and tourists, as well as Glastonbury Tor, a spectacular viewing point overlooking Somerset. We are in easy reach of Bath (18 miles), Bristol (20 miles) and Yeovil (19 miles), giving you a variety of restaurants, activities, and shopping! We are also five miles from Glastonbury Festival, if that’s your thing!
What you will be doing in this role:
BSR Group is a specialist provider to the low carbon energy industry. We create value through managing the entire process – building, connecting and managing solar and energy storage projects in the UK and internationally to support a smart, low carbon energy grid.
We are looking for a talented Electrical Design Engineer to undertake detailed technical design of LV & MV systems in Solar PV plants and Energy Storage Systems (ESS) developed, constructed, and operated within the BSR group.
As a member of the Design and Engineering team, the Electrical Design Engineer will be involved in project electrical design scope from concept to construction as well as supporting the maintenance and operation of existing assets.
BSR group is an IET Enterprise Partner and provides additional support for a structured development programme leading to chartered engineer status for suitable candidates.
What we need from you:
- Electrical design of solar PV and BESS projects from conceptual configuration of plants and layouts to detailed SLD, wiring diagrams, calculations, and specs, including construction engineering support and final acceptance.
- Electrical systems specification, design, documentation and review in accordance with relevant ISO / IEC / BS standards, including IET PV CoP, BS7671 18th Edition etc;
- Electrical protection scheme design and review;
- Earthing system design and review;
- Appointing consultants and assessing grid compliance and earthing reports;
- Load flow estimations, short-circuit study, and sizing of main electrical equipment (transformers, inverters, switchboard, UPS etc..)
- LV&MV Cable sizing and optimisation calculations according to installation conditions; issuing of LV and DC cable schedules for procurement and/or installation requirements;
- LPS design and review;
- Authorising, reviewing and amending LV SLDs and schematics;
- Electrical equipment offers review, and selection (including UPS, cable, meter, CT, switchgear, filter, transformer, inverter etc);
- Liaison with electrical equipment manufacturers, technical advisors and consultants;
- BESS – supplier proposal reviews: inverter and cell technology, sizing and optimisation calculations;
- Search, specifies electrical hardware and equipment necessary for project construction e.g. cable, lugs, joints, glands, enclosures, panels, MCBs, CBs, fuses etc. and issues schedules for procurement
- Issuing of commissioning and operational instructions documentation eg. shutdown procedures; briefing notes for owners and technical advisors;
- Interpretation of relevant ISO / IEC / BS standards and documentation of applicability to EPC designs eg. Transformer Oil bunding requirements, E-Stop designs etc;
- Engineering calculations and operational data analysis eg. plant performance, performance ratio analysis, operational losses etc.;
- Responds to EPC, O&M, technicaBased on necessary calculations and advisor, funder, client, or asset owner technical enquiries. These enquiries may require several actions including documentation review, design optimisation, performance assessment, site survey and technical support
- Site survey, construction inspection and As-Built document checks;
Skills you’ll have:
- Professional experience in electrical design at commercial or utility scale;
- Experience in professional Solar PV system design and/or battery energy storage is desirable.
- Demonstrable knowledge of inverter specification, array sizing, yield optimisation, module selection and component assessments;
- Proficient in electrical systems design, including electrical power circuits, SCADA, communications systems and other equipment;
- Understanding of P28, G59/G99 and similar ENA recommendations and design/implementation of solutions to meet these requirements;
- Familiarity with Amtech, Cableizer or similar electrical design packages to assist with cable sizing and/or protection, discrimination and optimisation;
- Experienced user of the following software:
- MSOffice (particularly Excel for data analytics), Outlook, SharePoint
- A valid driver’s licence is required to enable the applicant to drive in the UK.
What’s in it for you?
- Monthly social events
- Hybrid working arrangement.
- Weekly yoga sessions
- Family friendly parental leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Annual bonus scheme
- Long service recognition scheme
- Annual reimbursement for one professional membership
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays and the option to rollover up to 5 days
- Private healthcare
- Life insurance
- Free office parking
Closing date: Monday 23rd October at 12 noon
If this role sounds right for you, we would love to receive your application! Please send a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
BSR is an equal opportunities employer, we are excited about employing and developing the best talent. Hiring decisions are based on experience, skills and qualifications relating to the role/roles applied for. If you need any reasonable adjustments made to perform at your best during the interview process, please contact the email address above.
On the occasions where we have a high number of applicants, some roles may close earlier than the advertised end date.